- Springdale began prepping for this game in offseason conditioning in January. Bixby ran 95 offensive plays against Springdale last year, a large part of the reason it rallied from a huge halftime deficit for a 45-38 win in a wild game. Bixby is only averaging 59.5 plays through its first two games this year, but the Bulldogs know first-hand how the Spartans’ hurry up, no-huddle approach can take its toll if it gets going.
- Springdale coach Shane Patrick on Bixby prep: … Continue Reading ››
"They are a talented team and we're making a long trip," Escalante said.
On paper, the Rattlers appear to be a formidable opponent even though Class 7A Heritage has almost three times more students.
Navasota (3-0) comes in ranked No. 2 in Class 4A in Texas by the Associated Press and have outscored their opponents by an average of 57-9. The Rattlers defeated rival Coldspring Oakhurst 35-14 on Friday, but … Continue Reading ››
Here’s a by-the-numbers look at the Bulldogs.
346 — Yards of offense allowed by Springdale on Friday night, 222 less than the 568 the Bulldogs gave up in the season opener against Greenwood.
197 — Yards per game in the first half for the offense through two games this year, but just 129.5 yards in the second half. Springdale has scored 22 points in the first half, 14 in the second half.
182 — … Continue Reading ››
1. Finish this sentence: Bentonville's 0-2 start is ?
Jimmy Carter (Springdale beat writer) — Not necessarily a big deal. The defending 7A state champs have struggled out of the gate, but it’s not like it’s against in-state competition. Union (scrimmage), Kansas City Rockhurst and Broken Arrow are likely all better than any Arkansas team. The slow start does … Continue Reading ››
Here are a few notable performances and games from the second week of the Arkansas high school football season. Are we forgetting anyone? Let us know by commenting below or tweeting us at @arpreps.
- Nashville wide receiver LaMichael Pettway accounted for five touchdowns in the Scrappers' 45-2 win over De Queen. He caught four passes for 122 yards (all four receptions were touchdowns) and had a 62-yard touchdown on his only carry of the game, meaning he scored every time he touched the ball on offense. He also had an interception on defense.
- North … Continue Reading ››
The Lions (1-2) were without leading rusher Christian Rodriguez, who missed the game with a knee sprain. Rodriguez also starts on defense, and he likely was missed more there than … Continue Reading ››
Thursday, Sept. 11
Pulaski Academy 52, New Smyrna Beach (Fla.) 20 (FINAL)
Friday, Sept. 12
Alma 28, Springdale 10 (FINAL)
Arkadelphia 40, Sheridan 8 (FINAL)
Arkansas Baptist 35, Cross County 27 (FINAL)
Augusta 25, Marvell 22 (FINAL)
Bald Knob 52, Southside Batesville 6 (FINAL)
Barton 40, Midland 6 (FINAL)
Batesville 51, Searcy 7 (FINAL)
Bauxite 28, Glen Rose 3 (FINAL)
Bearden 42, Hampton 13 (FINAL)
Benton 66, Jacksonville 0 (FINAL)
Bigelow 13, Atkins 27 (FINAL)
Blytheville 25, Okolona (Miss.) 24 (FINAL)
Brinkley 36, Palestine Wheatley 0 (FINAL)
Broken Arrow (Okla.) 34, Bentonville 0 (FINAL)
Bryant 49, Little Rock McClellan … Continue Reading ››
Burris ran for a team-high 62 yards on 12 carries, but was even more effective throwing the ball. He completed 16 of 19 passes for 204 yards and the four touchdowns as Alma (2-0) took advantage of a Springdale secondary playing without injured starting free safety Gavin Schmidt (shoulder).
Springdale led in the second quarter … Continue Reading ››
The Bulldogs built a two-touchdown lead late in the first half, then watched as fumbles and miscues allowed North Little Rock to rally for the lead on two seperate occasions in the second half. But Fayetteville stuck to what was working best, leaning on an effective running game to wear … Continue Reading ››
The War Eagles (1-1) and coach Perry Escalante were all smiles as they exchanged congratulations near midfield in Gates Stadium. A direct contrast from a week earlier when Escalante and his players were stunned as a late turnover helped Olathe (Kan.) North skate away with a late victory.
However, the Heritage defense came up with stop after stop, holding Russellville (1-1) scoreless in the second half … Continue Reading ››